Positive thinking: My 2013 List.
I just discovered this list I made in 2013 lying in one of my bags, this will tell you that I haven’t used this bag in over a year…. don’t ask me how many bags I have.
Back to the list! So the basic idea to do this list came when I was feeling at my lowest, beck when I needed drinking rehab. You know how those memes go right? Don’t only pray when you have a need, pray when you don’t as well… I swear it’s hard to pray when I have a need; it’s harder when I feel my constant prayers were going unanswered. I was in such a place where I felt my constant prayers were going unanswered and I needed to be thankful to uplift my spirits and actually give me a reason to be Thankful to the Supreme Being even amongst all my ailing and sadness.
This list tried to itemize achievements/what one is grateful for, mistakes made and resolutions (read as solutions to the mistakes). This was in the course of the year 2013.
A little background, I hated 2013. I hate 2013. I have no concrete reason why other than the number looks ugly, it’s an odd number year and I wasn’t expecting much from it. Well guess who didn’t get much from that year.
Feeling the way I was feeling compounded with my hate for a year I couldn’t escape, I decided to ‘strive to be happy’, like my favourite poem, Desiderata says. (Please check it out).
A glimpse of this famous list:
- I turned 26 healthy
- I moved to a new department to fill in a role
- Travelled on a holiday with my family
- I applied for the role I was filling in even though I had 7 years less experience than the advert was asking for
- I got the role (Highlight of the year)
- I go on holiday with family again
- I have kept up with my new year Resolutions (yes I am one of those)
- I am more spiritual (it’s like some people’s search for the Elixir of Life, I am forever striving)
- I made 2 new friends
- I survived the year
- Started the year unhappy, definitely set the tone for the rest of the year
- Let XYZ linger in my emotions more than he should have
- Let myself get introduced to people I have no interest in and they crowd my space
- Turn 27 happy
- Never ever start another year angry, sad and disillusioned
- Become even more spiritual
- Succeed at my new role
- Get hitched
Whilst writing the list, one thing I realized was that I had a whole lot more to be thankful for than I let myself think I did. I got bogged down in the things that ‘went wrong’ and didn’t think about what was right.
Recap:I did start 2014 happy and I am happier as a whole these days.
What does your list of positive thinking look like?